This town to which I recently returned, the shithole where I spent the first twenty-five years of my life, is a hotbed of ignorance and bigotry. I know, I know, I live in the south, blahblahwhatever. Even compared to the rest of the state, this town is about as bass-ackwards as you can get. Just a few current county demographics to help you out, and some anecdotal stuff from my younger years:
- 92.8% white
- per capita income: $16,109
- 8 public elementary schools, 2 public middle schools, 1 high school, yet…
- FOUR private christian schools, all administered by baptist churches
- Completely dry county until 1984, when wine, beer, and liquor sales were finally allowed. “Liquor by the drink,” and beer/wine served in restaurants were not voted in until 2008.
- City water wasn’t flouridated until 2004.
- The book, “A Separate Peace” was challenged in a school board meeting, here, in 1996. (I…
View original post 2,972 more words